A career in demand generation is very lucrative and rewarding, but preparing for demand generation interviews can be daunting.
As a demand generation leader, you have to understand various demand generation channels such as SEO, Social, Content creation, Analytics, AB testing, Email marketing, and marketing tools – and how you can use them to drive leads.
If you are getting ready for an interview for a demand generation & growth role, here are a few questions that can help you prepare for the interview.
Note: I have divided them into various sub-sections, so if you are interviewing for an entry-level role SEO, Email marketing, Social, etc. you will find them helpful.
When I interview anyone for a demand generation role, these are the questions I ask:
Demand Generation Interview Questions:
- Draw the marketing funnel & show me what activities you will do to move the first time user through the funnel. (Consider 1000 prospects – how will you move them through the funnel and showcase how many can potentially fall through the funnel) – I would ask the candidate to whiteboard the funnel for me.
- If you had an additional $10K in the budget, where would you spend it?
- If you had an additional $1Million in the budget, where would you spend it?
I am looking for how they think about marketing on micro and macro levels. And are they frugal in their spending, even if when the budget is over $1M?
- How will you get the attention of a prospect who has never heard of our company?
- New product launch: We have a new product coming out in 60 days, how will you prepare for the launch – draw me the flow?
- How do you define a failed marketing campaign?
- Show me the lead nurturing steps you followed in your previous role – draw a flow chart.
- Describe how you helped build the demand generation process at your last job? What were the top processes that you put in place that improved performance?
- What is the lead quality score, and why does it matter?
- How do you measure lead quality?
- Webinars: How will you get top panelists for a webinar we want to host?
- How will you promote a webinar to drive attendance? (Channels, tools, etc.)
- Website Homepage: What would you show on our website homepage to get visitors interested?
The goal here is to see if the candidate has gone thoroughly gone through our website and understands how and what type of information on the homepage drives engagement.
- If the CEO likes one design, COO likes another for our homepage – which one will you pick, and why?
- What is the difference between inbound and outbound marketing? (You will be surprised how many candidates get this wrong).
- What are the 3 components of a successful inbound marketing strategy?
I will give the candidate access to Google Analytics account and ask:
- Which piece of content converted the best and worst in the last 6 months?
- Which is the best source of traffic for our blog?
- Which page is causing the most users to leave our website?
- What is our Bounce rate – is that rate good or bad?
- What goals would you track on Google Analytics and show me how to track them on GA?
- Which vanity metrics would you track and why?
- What type of data you should capture from your prospects and customers & how?
- If you have holes in your prospect and customer data, e.g., missing company website URL, email, or phone, how will you fix it?
There are tools like Mechanical Turk you can use to hire people to fill missing data. I am looking if the candidate knows about it and/how they will approach it.
- Describe steps you would take to set up the AB testing process?
- Which AB testing tools have you used and are an expert?
- How will you AB test an Email campaign and a Landing Page?
- Give me an example and statistics on a successful & failed AB test you ran, and what did you learn?
- What is the first step when starting an AB test?
- How many AB tests should we run per week?
- Are all AB tests equal?
- What if you run an AB test and the results are not what you were expecting, now what?
- What if you want to run an AB test, but your boss says no, would you still run it?
Email Marketing Interview Questions:
- What is acceptable open & CTR for an email campaign?
- What is the best open & CTR you have achieved, and how?
- What are your thoughts on purchasing email lists?
- How will you segment your email list?
- How will you optimize an email for a maximum open rate?
- What is the maximum number of emails you have handled?
- If your boss asked you to increase the email open rate by 23%, how would you do?
- Which companies currently do email marketing well?
- How do you develop a voice for your email marketing campaigns?
- What is a Drip Email marketing campaign?
- How do you determine the drip flow? Please draw the flow for new customer acquisition on the whiteboard.
- How do you judge the success of your email marketing campaign?
- How do you handle the email deliverability problem?
- How do you react to a failed email marketing campaign?
Content & SEO manager interview questions:
- Walk me through your content creation process?
I am looking for how they think about content creation – industry research, picking blog topics, keywords, type of content (blog, video, infographic), etc.
- Find the 10 keywords you will target for our industry. (I will give them access to the tool and see how they approach keywords)
- Describe your keyword research strategy? How will you categorize different keywords?
- How fast can you get us to the first page of Google?
I am looking for their thought process. If the interviewee says, they can get us there in a month and never asks for which search query – then I know the candidate’s understanding of SEO is subpar.
- Which companies/blogs have the best content marketing strategy, and why?
- Walk me through your content distribution strategy?
- Sketch out your overall SEO strategy on the whiteboard.
- Explain some key SEO terms?
- How will you do link building for us? Could you walk me through the steps?
- What makes a website SEO friendly?
- What is page speed and why it matters?
- How will you determine the quality of our homepage?
- If our homepage takes 7 secs to load, is that good or bad?
- What are the common factors that cause a page to load slowly?
- How do you keep track of the latest SEO trends? Which publications, blogs you read?
- Video SEO: How will you optimize a YouTube video?
- What are do-follow & no-follow links and when should you use them?
- What is on-page and off-page SEO?
- Your boss asks you to give him an SEO review of our website, what would you do?
- Google has blocked our website – what would you do?
- How did you develop an SEO strategy for your previous company? Please whiteboard it.
- What is Domain Authority & Page Authority? Why does it matter?
- Case studies, blogs, video, podcasts, infographics, ebooks, whitepapers, etc. – we can’t focus on all of them – which 3 would you concentrate on and why?
- Which social channels you should focus on for B2B, B2C, D2C?
- What is the best time to post on various social channels?
- How do you research hashtags for our industry? Find me the top 10 hashtags you will use for our social posts?
- How will you promote our blog posts on LinkedIn?
- Is it ok to tag industry leader’s names in our social post without their permission?
- What do you think about influencer marketing?
- Are influencers overpriced and overvalued?
- How will you test if influencer marketing is for us?
- CMO wants to evaluate our blog – What would you say?
Tools & Technology:
- Which tools are in your marketing tech stack?
- Which exciting new technology would you introduce to our marketing tech stack?
- How do you keep yourself in the know-how on new tools and technologies?
- Which marketing tech tools you can implement yourself, without engineering support?
Team Building (mostly for Director & VP of Demand Generation roles)
- Size of the team you have managed?
- What is the most challenging aspect of managing a team?
- How do you handle conflict among team members?
- Have you managed international teams & how?
- If your CEO asks you to fire a team member, but you believe the CEO is wrong, how would you approach it?
- How do you empower your team?
- How will you handle team building for a 100% remote team?
- What do we do and how will you explain it to a 5-year-old?
- Why do you love marketing?
- Which area of marketing do you want to focus on?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- Who is your favorite marketer, and why?
- Why do you want to work for our company?
- What is your favorite marketing tactic that we are using?
Note: By all means, this is not a complete list since questions could vary based on the hiring manager. But these are the questions I ask candidates and then let the conversation go from there.
Are there other questions that you would ask your candidates – Please do share them in the comments, so all of us can learn from each other 🙂